Monday, November 1, 2010

There is not enough room at our Inn

Greetings to you!

By the way, the church here on our campus of GSF sends their greetings to you :)

In my adventures thus far, I have not allowed myself to engage in the tragedy of the lives of the children here. But today a chink in my armor was found.

Late last week there was a call to our social worker about a baby who was at a nearby hospital called Bwikwe who needed a home. Today we needed to bring a baby to the hospital to be admitted for a small surgical procedure in the morning, so we also went to investigate (not all babies who are brought as orphans are true orphans so we have to check every single child's story). As I have seen in the past, the hospital was overcrowded with approx 15 children in a room that is the same size as an American hospital single room. The children need a parent or guardian to stay with. The adult is responsible for bedside care and giving oral medications. The adult sleeps with the child in their hospital bed-a single sized bed.

The baby who we were "investigating" was so cute! He cooed and babbled and laughed at everyone! One of the most easy-going babies I have ever met. A Czech doctor was there saying "if you want to bad enough, you could take him." But the thing was-we couldn't! There is seriously not a single bed left in our orphanage. Every room, every bed, every staff member is filled to capacity. As we left the hospital, our social worker turned to me and said, "I hate saying no, it is terrible."

We took the baby to child welfare along with the member from the village who brought him malnourished, with malaria and anemic to the hospital, and made a plan. We are still hoping to be able to take him if a bed opens, but we are actually above capacity at the moment.

I know it is clique, but what would Jesus had done. Really-what on earth would Jesus have done??? On one hand-a child needs a home. On the other-we will NOT be able to provide care to the kids we have if we take in more than we have resources for. What to do? What to do? I hate turning away a sweet child named Jared.

Those of you who told me I may bring a baby home-it would be Jared ;)

Prayer requests:
1. that I find time to spend with Jesus! I have been so busy since coming here, I feel like I have no time to spend with Him.
2. pray for a child I am coming to love who is HIV positive and is in some of the final stages of AIDS. Pray for him by name. His name is Phillip.

Someone wise said prayer is not a part of the work-prayer IS the work. Love to you from Uganda :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow Sarah, your writing today tugs at my heart. God is doing a mighty work in you. We can't save the world but we have to do what we can. I pray you will know and have God's wisdom and direction as you are faced with difficult situations. I'm sure every day will hold a situation that there doesn't seem to be an answer for. That's so hard. Prayers & Love, Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know I am praying for you and all the people you come in contact with. Your love for Jesus is contagious. I know from getting to know you at MSU Billings.

    ReplyDelete