Sunday, May 8, 2011

Have you ever taken 8 teenage girls horseback riding? How about 8 teens who have never been riding before? How about 8 girls who have never even touched a horse before? I had the absolute pleasure of doing just that on May 5 to celebrate my 25th birthday!

Betty, Namubiru, Esther, Joy, Jennie, Aidah, Rebecca, and Rachel joined Meredith and I at Nile Horseback Safaris along the banks of the River Nile for a two hour ride along the river’s edge and through rural Ugandan villages. We were greeted by some kind people who led us to the horses. The girls were all giddy with excitement, most laughing, smiling to the point of splitting their faces wide open. And I was among those most thrilled!

The ride started off well when three of the horses went down for a roll after their riders hopped on-resulting in a quick bail out. Watching the kids stare confusingly at their downed mounts made me giggle. Once we established that pulling back on the reins meant “stop” and kicking meant “go,” we were off! The horses took every opportunity to take a crunch out of tender green maize plants, and they slowed our progress considerably. But as time went on, the confidence the girls had in their ability to control their steeds also grew and we were able to press on.

Then came the fun part! Our guide asked who wanted to go faster, and myself along with Rachel, Betty, and Rebecca jumped on the opportunity. Remember, these girls had NEVER been on a horse before, and there they were-ready to run! Or trot anyways. I even have some videos to prove their incredible feats of riding skill!

I love spending time with these girls. And am amazed at how they learn, grow, take on challenges and adventure. I love watching it unfold before my eyes. The smiles on their faces are even visible through my terrible videographery as we bounce along. I think many of them never even paused to relax their facial muscles-they just beamed.

It is amazing to think that God hand crafted those horses we rode. I have loved horses ever since I could remember! And God was the one that thought them up. How much more I should stand and marvel at the Creator, rather than the (albeit stunningly beautiful) creation?



"A horse is a vain hope for deliverance;
despite all its great strength it cannot save.
But the eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him,
on those whose hope is in his unfailing love" -Ps. 33:17, 18



No comments:

Post a Comment