Monday, September 12, 2011

Leaving Home to Come Home

"There was no funeral.
No flowers.
No ceremony.
No one had died.
No weeping or wailing.
Just in my heart.
'I can't...'
But I did anyway,
and nobody knew I couldn't.
'I don't want to...'
But nobody else said they didn't.
So I put down my panic
and picked up my luggage and got on the plane.
There was no funeral."
-"Mock Funeral" by Alex Graham James


I have been back Stateside for several days now, and sometimes I still think I hear the kids, or expect to sit and have lunch with Solome. It has been good to come home, but I feel guilty for having a part of me that wants to be back in Uganda.

It has been a blessing to be home-to be with my family, see some great friends from many years past, be back in the mountains.

But I think about the kids, the knocks on the door and tiny voices saying, "good morning Nurse Sarah!" I consider my friends who are in university, and I wish I could call them just to say hello, stop by their campus for lunch and a hug. I remember the kids who are in boarding school and I want to see them during visitation days or spend Sundays with them when they come back to GSF. I think about my life back in Uganda, and I miss it dearly.

Today I turned on the radio and heard the song "Homesick" come on. It is a song about loss when a loved one dies. No person died, but it feels like a part of my life has died. Sometimes my heart mourns when I think I may never see these beloved people again. But then a line in the song became like a bold underlined headline for me:
"In Christ, there are no goodbyes
And in Christ, there is no end
So I'll hold onto Jesus with all that I have
To see you again
To see you again"


Although my future is unknown, and it remains a mystery if I will ever see my precious Ugandan friends again, some of whom have become absolutely irreplaceable in my life-there is a certainty. Jesus provides a promise of eternity together. So I will hold onto that truth and look forward to the day that I will spend with my Ugandan friends, my American friends, and my family-together.

1 comment:

  1. Precious! Your heart is beautiful! One day, with Jesus,we will ALL be together will come! :)

    ReplyDelete