Saturday, April 2, 2011

Heart Therapy


Everyday life here at GSF has taken some time for me to appreciate. It took much longer than I had anticipated, actually. Because of my past trips to Kenya (shout out to GP 2005, 2007 and GA team 2006!), I was expecting the highs and the lows of cross cultural experiences; the red lining, and the green lining. But when I arrived in Uganda 5 months ago (can it really be that long?), I felt like I launched right into the red lining and the lows. And I was NOT expecting that.

It is funny how God surprises us. I truly believed that I knew how to handle this trip. But I have been shocked at the difficulties-and the blessings.

God knows me so well. Is anyone else stunned when that happens? I think I have been thirsting to have significant relationships with the people here, and without those relationships, I think inside I was dying from a broken heart. But God knew!
He has given me the opportunity and blessing to get to know some of the people here in Uganda. And those friendships have blessed me more than any other singular thing here. Getting to know and love people here has mended that brokenness I was feeling inside. Sitting and folding laundry with Auntie Christine and Auntie Prisca, peeling matoke with Auntie Betty, mourning the death of Gloria with Auntie Morjorine, laughing with Barbara and Solome. There has been no better therapy for my heart.

But the basic components of this newfound Joy have come from the One who knew I needed those relationships-spending time with the Giver of all those good things. Learning and taking the time to pray for my new friends, worship with singing alongside them, learning about our God together. That has been the true heart-therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment