Thursday, March 17, 2011

Unusual Things

Monday morning began as normal as normal could be. I had stayed up too late the night before and was tired as usual. At 6:30am I got a knock on the door from some kids (usual thing #1) telling me "Gloria's things caught her." Translation-she is having a seizure.

So grabbing my emergency seizure bag, I was out the door and starting the day off running. Found Gloria seizure free, but with a fever which was somewhat unusual. Gave the House Mom some medicine and said I would come back. 30 minutes later stopped by to find Gloria on her way to be bathed. So I planned to come back after my morning quiet time.

At 8:30, I picked up my phone, which was right next to me (unusual thing #2) to hear the House Mom say "Nurse Sarah, come. Just come." I had no idea what was happening, emergency or no, so I grabbed the respiratory emergency bag (unusual thing #3) and hastily went to house 4. I found Gloria on her floor mat totally unresponsive (unusual thing #4).

Her House Mom (who loved her dearly) and another missionary were already there, ready to help. We tried to clear out Gloria's airway and get her to respond to us.

Gloria has been in the hospital many times this past year. Countless times we've been expecting her death, and she has always pulled out of it. Why not this time? I was waiting for her to cough and open up her big brown eyes.

Our director arrived and we started CPR. I've always heard that when you need it, your emergency training will just kick in. But this was my friend, our Gloria who makes me laugh when she tried to dance in her wheelchair. I surprised myself at how difficult it was for me to start compressions. I've never done CPR on someone I loved before (unusual thing #5).

Gloria died at 8:50am on Monday morning, freshly bathed, surrounded by people who have loved her well and sitting in the warm sunlight (unusual thing #6).

One of the girls who lived with Gloria and woke up each time she had a seizure to pray with her was asked, "what do you think Gloria is doing now in Heaven?"

Without a moment hesitation, she smiled brightly and exclaimed, "she is dancing!"

"At that time I will deal with all who oppressed you. I will rescue the lame, I will gather the exiles... At that time I will gather you; at that time I will bring you home. I will give you honor and praise among all the peoples of the earth when I restore your fortunes before your very eyes." -Zephaniah 3:19a, 20

(Unusual thing #7).

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is an incredible blog post. I KNOW God is using you in amazing ways. Your life and view of God will definitely expand past our "American box"! Miss you friend! :)
    Libbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweet Sarah! This post had me crying. I am so sorry to hear that Gloria is not there anymore, but overjoyed that she is with our Lord. I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete