Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Debrief


My time at GSF is rapidly closing and I can hardly believe it. This time next week I will be on a plane, probably circling London to land... My mind just can't let me think much about leaving this place that has become a home for me.

To help myself transition, Africa Inland Mission requires all their missionaries to complete a debrief form and to arrange a meeting to talk about your past experiences. Since I've already completed the form and sat in a debrief meeting also, I thought I'd share some of my debrief with you! Interview style :)

Write down the first 5 adjectives that come to mind to describe your Short Term experience with AIM?


Stretching, exhausting, significant, revealing, fun


What do you feel you have contributed to the ministries in which you have been involved?

I feel my biggest contribution was my time and nursing skills. I live on site at GSF, so my work is 24 hours per day, 7 days a week most of the time. Other things I have contributed are my money (paying for some medications and doctor fees) and my interpersonal skills with the kids here, especially the teenagers. I feel that those built relationships with the kids and staff here is the most significant thing I have contributed.


The purpose of the AIM ShortTerm program is to make disciples of Jesus Christ.(Matt 28:19,20) How has God used you in helping others follow Jesus Christ? How have you grown as a disciple of Jesus Christ?

I have had the pleasure of growing deep friendships with some of the young women who grew up at GSF. One of which I have had the beginnings of a mentorship relationship. As I have been in a challenging place, exhausting and with limited boundaries, I have never felt the absolute need to spend time with Jesus like I do here. I spend more intentional time in prayer and reading the Word as an act of survival!


Working in a cross-cultural situation what did you find interesting, commendable, enjoyable?

The relational people! They always drop anything for a friend, always greet, even when late, and place friends and family first. I loved being able to make best friends with the people.

What did God teach you as you observed and interacted with believers in the national Church?

Worship is a lifestyle. Prayer is essential to life, and it does bring about miracles! I have never been so challenged to BELIEVE in what God says, and expecting Him to move

Other comments:

I have loved being here, and especially have been blessed with some amazing friendships that I pray will transcend distance and time. Jesus has blessed my heart in ways that I didn’t even know I needed. Praised God that He knows my heart intimately and provides for my every need, even the ones I didn’t know about :)


1 comment:

  1. LOOOVVEEEE the picture of you, Joy, and Jennie!! Beautiful girls!

    ReplyDelete