Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Happenings

Greetings from the ever busy world of GSF!

There are so many things happening, I think you all deserve an update (and maybe some lunch break reading :)

First: the new nurse has arrived! Her name is Katie and she is a pediatric nurse from England. She has a sweet heart, I can already see her falling in love with the kids! Her fervor to learn both inspires and encourages me. Every day she sits down and sifts through a mountain of reading to learn more about caring for the kids here. I feel so confident in leaving the kids here in her very capable hands.

Second: new kids! We've got FIVE new kids here at GSF! The youngest, Favor, came about a month ago and is the baby sister of one of the boys already living here. Her mom has some mental problems and couldn't care for her. She is now about 2 months old and just as cute as can be! Some days I sleep over at Solome's house to help with night time feedings. I'll tell you what-I am SO not ready to be a parent! Good thing that is a ways down the line :)
Next came Mercy. She is a little girl who was in the hospital for extreme malnutrition before she came to us. Some think she has mental delay, but we are all hoping that her mental status will improve with good nutrition and care. She is approx two years old, but is so small she wears infant diapers.
Most recently we have a new sibling group! Joan is about 6 years, Jessica is about 4 years, and Joel is about 2 years. They all have the most beautiful, big eyes I've ever seen. The photos are of the two girls Joan and Jessica. The one photo of the three girls braiding my hair is of Laureen, Joan and Jessica on the back veranda of their house.

My time here is quickly coming to an end (and I always tell people, "I don't want to talk about it!") and there is still so much to tell. I wish I could adequately explain the experience here to you through blog posts! If anyone ever wants to make a trip here to see it for yourself, let me know. I would be an agreeable travel buddy ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment