Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Omo Burn

Did you know handwashing clothes can be hazardous to your health? Or at least the skin on your knuckles and wrists!

If you are not used to handwashing clothes, your skin can get rubbed right off. It is called an Omo burn-Omo is a brand of laundry detergent. My goal (related to cleanliness!) while being here is to handwash my clothes without wounding myself. I'm trying to convince the kids that it has nothing to do with my lighter skin tone, and everything to do with the fact I simply don't wash clothes by hand at home! I feel like I'm back in biology lab-only this time I'm experimenting with my own skin!

On Sunday three of the teen girls named Rebecca, Betty and Esther came to the back of our house where they found me handwashing. I think they were quite intrigued, and after they watched me finish up (my proudest moment of the day was when Esther exclaimed "you really know how to wash!") we ended up spending the entire afternoon together. The best conversations I've had with all of those girls happened on Sunday.

Washing clothes is such a simple task. But there was relationship building that was instigated through that simple task of washing. Trying to bridge the gap between missionary and kid, American and Ugandan, black and white is very complicated and time intensive. But maybe with a few more laundering sessions, plus Lugada lessons-that gap can become a little smaller.

A peer named Moses said to me several days ago, "hey Sarah, if you keep learning to cook over charcoal, wash your clothes, and speak Luganda-maybe you can become more like us!" I hope so :)

"There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Galatians 3:28

2 comments:

  1. Bwana Asifiwe! I am so glad you got to do laundry and build stronger relationships at the same time! I did not know that omo burn existed but I have had very raw fingers and knuckles from hand-washing...maybe I had omo burn this summer and didn't realize it! Anyways I am glad you are becoming Ugandan :) Our mama this past summer said to me as she watch me wash Ryan and my clothes "maybe in US you have machine to do your clothes but here, YOU ARE THE MACHINE!" I felt pretty proud at that point too :) It is so fun to read your blog! Thank you for posting, we miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you too. The Omo Burn term I just recently learned from one of the older girls here. A very important cultural learning point ;)

    Some of the best conversations I've had have happened over tasks like washing and cooking-in the states too! With you :)

    Will see you when I see you :)

    ReplyDelete